There are over 600 brain diseases, disorders, and injuries, which can be categorised by different types of brain disease. These are the categories defined by the Brain Foundation’s scientific committee which is how we allocate funding for research.
Click the headings below to jump to a specific section.
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Alzheimer’s disease & other dementias
- Brain tumours
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Concussion & traumatic brain injury
- Migraine & Headache disorders
- Inflammatory diseases
- Movement disorders
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Paediatric neurology
- Other ways to classify types of brain disease
- Further information & resources
Medically reviewed by Professor David Burke AC. Last updated August 9, 2022.